We’re delighted to have secured Planning Permission for sizeable front and rear extensions, in addition to extensive internal alterations, to this large 19th Century Georgian villa, situated within a notable Conservation Area in an exclusive riverside village.
The original building, constructed in 1830 in a classical Georgian style, sits on a generous plot with landscaped gardens. Having been extended over the course of history – including the erection of a wing to the North of the building some years back – much of the original construction remains today, with a stucco render, slate roof, and quoins and cornices to the principal facades.
The proposals aim to retain the character of the existing building, and through a carefully considered Planning process, consent has been granted to introduce a traditional flat roofed single storey extension, replacing a conservatory to the South elevation, in addition to a contemporary flat roofed extension to the North.
The traditional extension connects the house and converted garage, in a sympathetic manner, enclosing the entrance courtyard on arrival to the site, and creating an orangery structure and entertaining space, along with guest accommodation.
The contemporary rear extension combines traditional and modern materiality – including expansive glazing and a splayed metal roof – and has been sympathetically designed to strengthen the connection between the house and gardens, while bringing the accommodation up to date with a modern kitchen, living and dining space.
Retaining many of the original features – including a swept staircase – the consent includes reconfiguration of internal arrangements, and along with the aforementioned extensions, will deliver a significant 62% increase in the overall footprint of the home.
We worked with a series of supporting consultants and advisors – including JPPC, JP Heritage, Venners Arboriculture and Alastair Driver – all of whom played a pivotal role in securing this fantastic consent.
For ‘before’ and ‘after’ views, see below.